In 1774, Belgrade was first settled by Philip Snow from New Hampshire. In 1796, the town was incorporated as Belgrade and named after Belgrade, Serbia. The community is about 10 miles away from Augusta and includes the villages of North Belgrade, Belgrade Depot, and Belgrade Lakes.
Great Pond is the largest lake and the small community is home to many others. There are great hiking trails and lots of freshwater beaches to enjoy during the summer. Belgrade offers year-round recreation and snowmobiling is a popular winter activity during colder months.
Belgrade has one of the four water postal routes certified by the U. S. Postal Service. Major industries include lumber, building products, and tourism as the population doubles in the summer months. There are four cemeteries where many of the early settlers are buried.